Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How to Make a Monster (on Ektachrome)

My day-to-day job for the last 15 years has been spent producing and marketing low-budget movies to the US home video market. The daily grind is rewarded anytime I can get away from my desk and into the studio for hands-on filmmaking or photography.

This was the case in early December when I had the opportunity to collaborate on the poster art for our upcoming DVD release of Chris LaMartina’s movie “Book of Lore.”

How to Make a Monster

How to Make a Monster

Paige Davis and myself designed the poster concept. She handled the make-up and I shot the images. The soon-to-be-horrifying model was Erin Russ. Gordon Roberts handled final layout in Photoshop CS.

How to Make a Monster

How to Make a Monster

Because of the time to apply make-up to Erin, I absolutely made sure that I had enough coverage by shooting with three cameras. Overkill perhaps, but you know the old expression, “better safe than sorry.”

How to Make a Monster

Ektachrome Monster

I loaded my Shanghai Seagull 4A and Yashica-A cameras with Ektachrome 64T 120 tungsten balanced film. Since each camera only holds 12 exposures per roll, I used two cameras to speed up the shooting process (by not having to stop and re-load film). The third camera was my Canon AE-1 35mm loaded with Kodachrome 40 tungsten balanced film. Shooting with the AE-1 really didn’t take much more time and served as the “back-up” should anything go wrong with the 120 film in processing.

The shoot went smooth and was a lot of fun. Ultimately the final image chosen for the poster was shot with the Shanghai camera on Ektachrome film.



Chris LaMartina's BOOK OF LORE/GRAVE MISTAKES Horror Double Feature will be released on DVD May 12th, 2010

All images shot by Michael Raso
Poster art © Camp Motion Pictures, L.L.C.
Film processing: Dwayne’s Photo
Scans: Epson v700

No comments:

Post a Comment