Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the last store in new jersey that sells film?

You’re not going to believe this but not too long ago there was no such thing as the Internet. Yes, that’s right…no on-line. No cell phones , either.

C’mon, think hard. Remember?



Okay, okay…then THIS is something you won’t believe. On Route 46 in New Jersey there is an actual store that sells camera stuff. Get this…. they sell film too. (Sigh) You do remember film, right? Okay, put your iPhone down and listen up. Or better yet, open up the Wiki on yer iPhone and look up film.



Okay, this is going to blow your mind (insert sound effect here). To get my hands on film, it is actually faster for me to drive-to-the-store than to order on-line. The store is Unique Photo in Fairfield, NJ. A short drive from the Film Photography Podcast Studio, this cavernous store (with coffee bar) is most likely the last brick and mortar store to offer Polaroid integral and pack film products.

Unique Photo - Fairfield, NJ USA
(clockwise from upper left) A surrealistic experience finding film displayed in an isle of an actual store…it’s true – Polaroid 300 film is nothing more than re-branded Fujifilm Instax…600, Spectra and Pack film galore (but watch out for the “price sting” on the 600 film)

Unique Photo - Fairfield, NJ USA
I stocked up on pack film including 2009-dated Polaroid 664, 667 and fresh-dated Fujifilm FP-100c. Thanks, Paul!

I found a bit of Unique history on the web: “In 1947 Bernard Sweetwood and his wife Harriet founded Unique Photo. Forged by their hard work and fueled by Bernard's lifelong passion for photography, the small Brookyln storefront quickly blossomed into today's Unique: one of the largest and most successful suppliers of its kind. In 1965, the company moved across the Hudson. In 2008 the company - now headed by sons Jonathan and Matthew - moved to its current state of the art facility in Fairfield, New Jersey.”

I even located this “cable spot” on You Tube!



When visiting the Garden State, enjoy a real store experience at Unique…and don’t forget to shoot me an e-mail…I’ll meet you there for some Java!
- Michael Raso / FilmPhotographyPodcast@gmail.com

163.365: Michael Raso
I host The Film Photography Podcast (Internet Radio Show) on iTunes
Image © 2010 Dan Domme

All other images © 2010 Michael Raso
Shot on Polaroid pic-300 camera and Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, it must be epidemic. I drove my car to one of those stores in Atlanta last week and bought some Fuji FP-100c. They even have lots of free parking. Showcase Camera & Video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My local store sells FP-100C for no less than $30. I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan,
    Oh my...Unique Photo price for FP-100c is $10.55 per pack.

    ReplyDelete