Thursday, June 2, 2011

April-Lea's 420 Polaroid Photography



blog by Michael Raso
images by April-Lea Hutchinson

April-Lea Hutchinson is a film photographer and model from London, Ontario. Shooting primarily with Polaroid and Holga cameras, April says in her own words – “I look for emotion to tell a story and reveal the beauty in my characters. Beyond the aesthetic qualities imparted by instant film and long exposures, my empathetic relationship with the person in front of the camera infuses my images with comfortable intimacy and perhaps a touch of nostalgia.”

April's very first film camera was the Polaroid 420 Automatic Land Camera. She kindly send me the following e-mail describing her 420 instant photography.



"My very first camera was a Polaroid Land Camera 420, It was given to me by a friend who also happens to be a Polaroid Land Camera photographer. The snapping sound when pulling the shot in anticipation, the thirty seconds to see what you got, is was got me hooked on this camera. The immediacy of the process suits my temperament and has allowed me to put my thoughts into an instant print.



I adore the many films that the 420 uses. The IPF “blue” tone being one of my favorites to work with and of course any of the original expired film. Nothing beats expired film with the funky color tones and degradation.

My camera really is just an extension of me, it’s very easy to control and handle. My 420 produces timeless pieces of art in my eyes. I wouldn’t trade it for the world."


April-Lea Hutchinson's Home Page / On Flickr

FPP Polaroid 420 Automatic Land Camera blog series
Previous entry - Introductions

Film Photography Podcast - March 2011
What is FPP?
The Film Photography Project seeks to inform, engage and inspire amateur and professional photographers working in the traditional film medium. Launched by FPP founder Michael Raso in 2009, FPP provides a forum for photographers from around the globe to share their creative output, challenges and product reviews, while promoting the viability of vintage cameras and film through frequent give-aways and exchange programs. In addition to the Film Photography Podcast Internet Radio Show, the Film Photography Project network of imprints includes the FPP Flickr Page, YouTube Channel, Facebook Group, Twitter Account, newsletter and the Film Photography Project Store.

Polaroid Impulse Portrait / Impossible PX 600 UV+
About me
Michael Raso is passionate about film as a viable and exciting medium for the visual artist, even in this age of digital photography. A photographer, producer and filmmaker working professionally in the visual arts for over 20 years, Michael is also the founder of the Film Photography Project and its fortnightly internet radio show, the Film Photography Podcast. At last count, Michael was actively shooting with over 50 vintage cameras.


FPP Episode Episode 36 - June 1, 2011 features a spotlight on the Polaroid Automatic 420.

http://www.filmphotographypodcast.com



April-Lea Hutchinson was my featured guest on The Film Photography Podcast / Episode 22 - November 26, 2010
(Use the link above or listen to below)



Have a question about your film photography? I'd love to hear from you.
Michael Raso
FilmPhotographyPodcast (AT) gmail.com

April-Lea Hutchinson's Polaroid Automatic 420 Land Camera
Purchase your own Polaroid 420 Camera at the FPP Store!

Content Copyright 2011 Film Photography Project, L.L.C. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment